This light, fragrant, creamy tom kha gai – a classic Thai soup – is an absolute blast of hot, sweet and sour flavours. Serve steaming bowlfuls with little golden corn fritters ready to dunk in sweet chilli sauce.
The ingredient of Thai chicken & coconut soup
- 2 lemongrass stems (white part only)
- 100g small button mushrooms, stems trimmed
- 2 chicken breast fillets (about 180g each)
- 1.2L Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 4cm piece ginger, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 400ml coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, plus wedges to serve
- Small handful mint leaves
- Small handful Thai basil leave (see Notes)
The instruction how to make Thai chicken & coconut soup
- Bruise the lemongrass stems with the back of a knife and cut each one in half. Halve the mushrooms, or slice if large. Cut the chicken breast fillets in half lengthways, then thinly slice against the grain.
- In a saucepan, bring the chicken stock, lemongrass, ginger, chilli and caster sugar to a gentle simmer over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, mushrooms and coconut milk.
- Simmer (without boiling) for 5 minutes, stirring, until chicken is cooked. Add fish sauce and lime juice u2013 the soup should taste hot, sour, lightly sweet and salty.
- Ladle the soup, chicken and mushrooms into warm bowls, then scatter with mint and basil leaves.
Nutritions of Thai chicken & coconut soupfatContent: 314.285 calories
saturatedFatContent: 18 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 15 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 10 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 9 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 27 grams protein