With fiery flavours and tender pork, this hearty Mexican soup is the perfect winter warmer.
The ingredient of Spicy Mexican soup
- 2 long dried red chillies
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Mexican chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1kg-piece boneless pork shoulder, rind removed, trimmed
- 1.25L (5 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 corncobs, kernels removed
- Shredded cabbage, chopped, to serve
- Avocado, to serve
- Green shallot curls, to serve
- Radish, thinly sliced, to serve
- Fresh coriander sprigs, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
The instruction how to make Spicy Mexican soup
- Place chillies in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Set aside for 20 minutes to soak. Drain, reserving 1 tbs liquid. Process chilli, reserved liquid, garlic, chilli powder, cumin, salt, one-quarter of the onion and 2 tbs oil in a food processor until a paste forms.
- Set an electric pressure cooker to Browning or place a stovetop pressure cooker over high heat. Heat remaining 2 tsp oil in the cooker. Cook pork, turning, for 8-10 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Set electric pressure cooker to Sautu00e9 or reduce heat to medium-high. Add remaining onion and cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes or until softened. Add the chilli mixture. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add pork, stock, oregano and bay leaf. Seal the pressure cooker and cook on High pressure for 50 minutes. Turn off heat. Slowly release pressure according to the manufactureru2019s instructions. Remove pork. Coarsely shred the meat.
- Set electric pressure cooker to Sautu00e9 or place stovetop cooker over medium-high heat. Add pork and corn. Simmer until tender.
- Divide the soup among bowls. Top with cabbage, avocado, shallot, radish and coriander. Serve with lime wedges.
Nutritions of Spicy Mexican soupfatContent: 524.605 calories
saturatedFatContent: 30 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 7 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 17 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 42 grams protein